shibboleth-dev - Re: SHIRE/SHAR Communication

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: SHIRE/SHAR Communication

  • From: Walter Hoehn <>
  • To: Scott Cantor <>
  • Cc: "'Shibboleth Design Team'" <>
  • Subject: Re: SHIRE/SHAR Communication
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 17:17:12 -0500

Scott,

In our discussion on the 17th, it came up that the nsdl was the first group so far to talk about using shibb attributes for things other than authorization. It would be nice if we could either hook into this channel or the eventual cache that the RM uses. What do you think about the possibility of the SHAR stuffing the attributes in a database and simply redirecting to the RM? The database effectively becomes the RM's cache, but is also available to other programs. I am sure that this cache would be relatively small, so the database could be lightweight and in-memory.

-Walter

Scott Cantor wrote:

There is a problem to solve for the Java part of the SHIRE to pass state
into the C++ part of the SHIRE/SHAR, but it's similar to the problems of
building Apache modules that share state between forked children anyway,
so it's mandatory to deal with eventually even if we could build the
whole thing in C.

All that said, if there's a shared memory toolkit out there that
supports both C and Java, that would be cool to hear about, but I don't
know of one.

Walter F. Hoehn, Jr
Systems Programmer
Columbia University - EPIC