shibboleth-dev - RE: SHIRE/SHAR Communication

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: SHIRE/SHAR Communication

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: SHIRE/SHAR Communication
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 16:45:26 -0500

> It is my understanding that the initial implementation of the
> SHIRE will be a servlet and the corresponding SHAR will be implemented

> as an apache module. Could someone give a brief description of how
the
> SHIRE will communicatie with the SHAR in this implementation?

"Magic"? Umm, we're not sure yet. It was discussed briefly on Tuesday's
call. This is looking like a longer term scenario than I had hoped, so I
suspect we'll work out something that slides far enough up the "total
hack / elegance" scale to avoid embarassment.

Given Apache's gratuitous forking, we probably have to deal with the IPC
issue somehow anyway. I've generally punted on it in my modules, but the
cost of not sharing the cache here is too high (prohibitive, really) so
we probably need persistent SHAR state.