shibboleth-dev - JCE/RSA implementations?

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

JCE/RSA implementations?

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: JCE/RSA implementations?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 14:41:14 -0500

After digging into the source code for the XML security implementation we
have to use in the HS/SHIRE, I think it's the case that it relies on the
Java cryto extension framework (JCE) both as an API and for the actual
crypto. I thought originally they implemented some of the algorithms, but I
was wrong.

After looking at the JCE, it appears that the Sun reference implementation
doesn't do RSA (or DSA for that matter), only a few symmetrics.

So I went hunting, and I found only one promising candidate that's free or
open source (let along both), at http://www.bouncycastle.org/

Now, the name alone makes me want to use it, but I thought I'd see if
anybody knew anybody that knows anything about the project, the people, or
has a better idea...