perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Three questions

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Three questions

  • From: Andrew Lake <>
  • To: Phil Reese <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Three questions
  • Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2024 07:09:36 -0700

Hi Phil,

Sorry for delay, a bunch of us were on travel last week. Answers inline:

On October 2, 2024 at 6:32:55 PM, Phil Reese () wrote:

Hi,

As I've worked more and more with 5.1.3 json files these questions arose:

1. In the 4.x maddash json grid, the json file needed and used the info
from the initial Meta section:
{
  "_meta": {
    "display-name": "1:XXXXX-XXX"
  },
This doesn't seem to be used any more, is it still needed?

It is not currently used when building the grids. The was an issue opened recently to investigate whether we could add support back for it. Short version is that there is a linkage between what is displayed in Grafana and what gets queried in OpenSearch and we’d need to shuffle some things on the backend to make that value easy to use.

2. Similarly, this  section was important during the transition between
v4 and v5:
    "_meta": {
       "esmond_url": "https://xxx.sssss.edu/esmond/perfsonar/archive/"
      }
If there is no need for anything 'esmond' or 'elmond' any more, is this
section needed?
It is still in the docs here:
https://docs.perfsonar.net/multi_ma_install.html#scenario-2-writing-to-a-remote-archive-with-username-and-password-authentication

That is not needed if you are using Grafana. We’ve left it in the docs as a “lowest common denominator” for people still using the old MaDDash and it does not hurt anything if it is there and you are using Grafana.

3. In recent days, I've built some 3by3 grids, three testpoint nodes and
an archive node.

I've not been able to get more than one host to start testing, no matter
how long I wait.

The docs suggest the json file can be placed locally:
https://docs.perfsonar.net/psconfig_pscheduler_agent.html#local-templates

But putting the file 3by3.json in /etc/perfsonar/psconfig/pscheduler.d/
owned by root with 644 permission doesn't work.

It should pick up any file as long as it is readable in that directory and ends with .json. That is is the same directory with the Toolkit UI drops its config and that seems to work for me. Its would be watching that directory for any changes and within 60 seconds start trying to build your tests. It should put errors in the logs if it is having trouble with a file in there. Have you tried restarting psconfig-pscheduler-agent? Maybe its not detecting the directory has changed for some reason?

Ideas for troubleshooting?

Thanks,
Phil