perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] perfSONAR 5.0.6 now available

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] perfSONAR 5.0.6 now available

  • From: Andrew Lake <>
  • To: Phil Reese <>, Shawn McKee <>, Tim Chown <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] perfSONAR 5.0.6 now available
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 14:00:46 -0800

On November 28, 2023 at 3:25:19 PM, Phil Reese () wrote:

Ok, I'm being honest and letting you know that the issue was a typo in my .json file, just two characters swapped.  Naturally when I rebuilt the system, I used the same, wrong .json file, and got the same blank grid page.  Note to self- don't make json changes at the same time as a version update.

I do think I found a couple of things that might be worth a look:

1. The maddash-server service no longer comes up running in Rocky9,  I either need to restart it or use Shawn's valid suggestion of restarting the system after an update.

I don’t think this is specific to Rocky 9. I ran through a Rocky 9 upgrade on a test host today and the restart happened as it should. This just had a small mesh, so I suspect that had something to do with my different results. I haven’t had a chance to test yet, but I suspect it’s something along the lines of the update happening while the maddash-server is actively polling hosts or similar. In the case of Shawn’s mesh, it is pretty big so maddash-server will be in that state 100% of the time, possible yours is too. There’s a bunch of threading and so maybe some bad signal handlers or something that are leaving things stuck. Just a theory, I’ll try to do some more testing. We might just update systemd to be more aggressive in killing the existing process on restart or similar. I am just speculating though which is always dangerous :)

2. In my thrashing on the subject, I ended up in a few cases where the psconfig-maddash-agent would be stopped and just wouldn't restart. No helpful messages were in the Journalctl output.

Did you look in /var/log/perfsonar/psconfig-maddash-agent.log? Not really much that can prevent the agent from starting beyond bad config files or similar, but should report it in the logs.

Phil