perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Support for Rocky/Alma 8?

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Support for Rocky/Alma 8?

  • From: Mark Feit <>
  • To: Jarett DeAngelis <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Support for Rocky/Alma 8?
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 21:43:52 +0000
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=internet2.edu; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=internet2.edu; dkim=pass header.d=internet2.edu; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=WORpdabYa7s/FPeHrFcSHd8Nnijk5VAneVlESQMAmLI=; b=PZTTqs2Ef9KEw1vy4zPm21YtITppzA/2LPDpVz+K8kv/VkObEbfr0GZYCCjI0yHTTUm59kPpmcCQgRN4c5CEb7HYCrnpSoaNPTzlNNV6viuwod9RNZHrMgwfwvs/vAG8menr77wlMIZhazcfBZSpmWDToKDZGT93cYj6xT/urSwlTX/So2ES8atpdcNocPhz/lKCYwGG54eDdYjdSo/wdyGX0twfZlRkeIzwugf5FI8Dwx1llJHJYIsqrb0yGoHZQilWoMD2FO7WEaMtzKdWmc2O7P+d5rLXe2M6OHnI8BbSPxGI0zjxObFdWkemWBG/k1BfmS/+64CqRLNK6WdlbA==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=Dax9bCgPujKJHAUQME1q6Is5/tz4hC1Eekc6yJqIePENzKwsqnacdxlJirdAhcTdNWhuS0t154sflf6Cl08sKJ5uXP5zyJikWaC4iZ4hHX1WgTCBb0ZjDNEfzBI7Wl1R6vKHB0+xX4Wss/5JbU244p1prhbOG5kH4OVfc6iOhrcUhOmAmIdJF9lM4Y/6XikD95LSAzHZu2bhd9cCoiBrRom9VXzZMqHi1mxd8b44CmVEoRsnvQF+7bTWLilr5b0HVO0qkNMIQIr/aysIXsbpk+iNo+yayhpMHlsoucqX31F2c/8fbt6HVoSZNSgNwAQL90XFr11dgJfrQHCsNBrnJg==

Jarett DeAngelis writes:

Hi all - I know this is on the near-term roadmap, but am curious if there is “unofficial” support for these yet, i.e. are there repositories containing packages we’re pretty sure will work? Asking because CentOS 7 is a nonstarter where we’re at and talking about moving to Ubuntu 20.04 is producing a lot of sturm und drang in response.

Getting that together is our next high priority and we will be having some all-hands-on-deck time for it in the coming weeks.

One of the contributing factors in the length of time it took to get 5.0 out the door was making a big shift our internal tooling that touched every last one of the 300 packages that make up perfSONAR.  We think that time will have been well spent because the new tools make supporting new distributions and releases of EL- and Debian-derived Linux easier and faster.  pScheduler, which is probably the hardest part of the system to package and test, is all set to go for EL8 and EL9 and I have some experience with it on Debian 11 and Ubuntu 20.  We’re hoping the rest will go quickly, but new OSes have been known to throw us curveballs.

Once we have a each new distribution ready to test, we’ll put it in our staging repository and you’ll be able to run those just like the CentOS 7 and Debian/Ubuntu betas.  After they’ve had some testing outside perfSONAR HQ, they’ll go to general availability and be supported like anything else.  I promise we won’t keep either of those events a secret.  :-)

If the powers that be where you are will allow it, I’d recommend installing the OS you want to be running and running the Docker container until we have packages available.  (Switching hats for a second, Internet2 is doing that for a large fleet of internal perfSONAR nodes and we really, really like it.)

--Mark