perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Iperf3 authentication issue in PS 4.4

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Iperf3 authentication issue in PS 4.4

  • From: Mark Feit <>
  • To: Phil Reese <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Iperf3 authentication issue in PS 4.4
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 22:02:21 +0000

Phil Reese writes:

On three of my edge nodes I'm getting these type of messages:

>   iperf3: error - test authorization failed

Just to follow up on this, Phil and I did some poking around on his systems and found the cause.

Each of the problem systems had an iperf3 server process that had been orphaned, possibly during an upgrade.  The process dutifully kept waiting for someone to authenticate with its expected credentials while newer iperf3s with different (and correct) credentials failed to run because the old one kept the control port occupied.

I have an enhancement request in with the iperf3 team (https://github.com/esnet/iperf/issues/1187) to allow the server to exit if it didn’t get a valid connection within a specified time.  This will allow the pScheduler plugin to prevent it from continuing to run outside its scheduled time slot.

--Mark