perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Documentation error?

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Documentation error?

  • From: Mark Feit <>
  • To: Kate Adams <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Documentation error?
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 17:43:19 +0000

Kate Adams writes:

  pscheduler task --export rtt --source tuls.ps.greatplains.net --dest kans.ps.greatplains.net > kans-ping.json

generates json code.  When I run the command

psconfig remote add /kans-ping.json

JSON (_javascript_ Object Notation) is a standard format for expressing data (see https://json.org).  The data it expresses is determined by the program that generates it and how it is understood is up to the program that reads it.  (A real-world parallel would be the English language; I could have written this reply in the form of commentary on avocados which, while valid English isn’t the information you’re looking for.)

The JSON data that pSConfig expects in a template has its own format (see https://docs.perfsonar.net/psconfig_templates_intro.html) than what’s exported by pScheduler’s task command.

The JSON exported by pScheduler’s task command is intended to be re-imported later by the same command:

$ pscheduler task --export rtt --dest www.perfsonar.net > /tmp/rtt.json

$ pscheduler task --import /tmp/rtt.json

Submitting task...

Task URL:

https://localhost/pscheduler/tasks/72f46e97-6b36-45f3-ba8d-64d99ea1e56e

…etc…

Parts of it can be used in pSConfig templates, but they’re not interchangeable.

Hope that helps.

--Mark