perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] OWAMP Implementation for Android

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] OWAMP Implementation for Android

  • From: Mark Feit <>
  • To: Ahmad Hassan <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] OWAMP Implementation for Android
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2021 17:29:05 +0000
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=internet2.edu; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=internet2.edu; dkim=pass header.d=internet2.edu; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck; bh=4ToIeAqXqpGPSF6WfxWwct0F+mLDnmWoioo7XalMOkw=; b=jfbZXdpgy8h/T1DIaJYiKN2mM/enWf5HWQltU4OMbIbTVPNXkcw1MJAzkrcSFQKrSIDDodtazaBKgneHdxxOXDFbJaHXyDglK+hek5gV22EWaencSCj+FWpvSkLthixZ8p0wzFCJ5I9R+zyaObVZWxm8shHbl6K0sfqiwvsZExIyrb5MFWA/Cl8LvspK9UfDLI5CMJs3mKdvzgOVmsVhIv+oKEu88Fxwvvdn1XK2bs2MdBEzGgCTtbLWwHxx0Av8nex0STwHEXQJbxS3zl13gQxc2zrSN8rEwaaX0ysWpDVQvYXs3a/n+xqfZQtt7WfafzeQ5JEmUijvfTbyVv05mA==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=TpapMat9AmW0jKNjg99+RQ2lLnzT+qqMcMv90grzl6+AH4KgGeFDRitm569c+t904i+TMWCVnm5qVO66agHGk1Kc29hVh6jwo7nrBUSPymAkiFXWyn3P+XHFt7Y14gnBFwyPMRke+UPvK4ykvTvVFVmhjbfnrtCdhqTWrBTIHFdijLLTRHBh+jf3MaR9DWZogoCleB3okhtzZglTcAX68owCnlrp5/mkYyEI99CK6v6pscXF7ynBH2J53HsFJHi9WOs+dgSzRLNgiPTKN2BGxAZQD694qrHA5UjykO9UdZIcn3NnfpesYJBfrSoNQz6sEVnwlRkWlxI8sFzdXrrSew==

Ahmad Hassan writes:

I was looking at the OWAMP project and wondering if there's any implementation of OWAMP for Android? I found J-OWAMP here and was thinking of porting the source code to Android and building an app around it. However, I first wanted to check if there's any implementation out there for Android. I also plan to make it open source for the community.

There are a couple of ports of iperf2 and iperf3, but I’m not aware of anyone having ported OWAMP to Android.  J-OWAMP might be a good starting point to get something running.  Given the vagaries of Android’s execution model, it would probably be worth running the measurement as a bound service rather than as a thread within an activity.

Also, let me know if there's a more efficient way to do the job.

One alternative that might yield more-accurate results than Java would be to compile the version maintained by Internet2 and perfSONAR  (see https://github.com/perfsonar/owamp) natively and use JNI or the NDK to interface with it.  That version also features client code for TWAMP, which would make it even more useful.  If you go that route, we’d be happy to take any pulls for changes that make it easier to compile as long as they don’t break the what we ship with perfSONAR.

Do let us know how your project goes; I’m sure there are a few people on this list who’s be interested in having something like that.

--Mark