perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] postgresql9.5 dependency in perfsonar & obsolete packages

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] postgresql9.5 dependency in perfsonar & obsolete packages

  • From: Gerald Vogt <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] postgresql9.5 dependency in perfsonar & obsolete packages
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 18:08:53 +0200

On 07.05.21 17:49, Mark Feit wrote:
… I cannot remove the old perfsonar95 rpms because of dependencies:

---> Package postgresql95-server.x86_64 0:9.5.3-2PGDG.rhel7 will be erased
postgresql-load-1.1-1.el7.noarch
pscheduler-server-4.3.4-1.el7.noarch

So basically it removes the whole pscheduler-server and perfsonar
because of the dependencies to postgresql-load.noarch which depends on
postgresql95. I guess, postgresql-load.noarch should not depend on a
specific postgresql server version?

The version of postgresql-load you have installed depends only on PostgreSQL 10, so that shouldn’t be the cause.  The naming of the

Well, it is. yum thinks so:

--> Processing Dependency: postgresql95-server for package: postgresql-load-1.1-1.el7.noarch

rpm thinks so, too:

[root@perfsonar7 ~]# rpm -q -R postgresql-load
/bin/sh
postgresql95-server
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
rpmlib(FileDigests) <= 4.6.0-1
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) <= 5.2-1

packages specifically as posrgresql95-* is a quirk of how it was packaged by PGDG and Red Hat.  I’d be interested to see what “rpm -q whatrequires postgresql95-server” yields.  There shouldn’t be anything left on the system that requires it.

Not for me:

[root@perfsonar7 ~]# rpm -q --whatrequires postgresql95-server
postgresql-load-1.1-1.el7.noarch

I also checked with "yum autoremove" and it lists a number of obsolete
packages:

  perl-Net-Netmask         noarch   1.9015-13.el7 @epel7-centos7-x86_

There was a historical requirement for that package that no longer exists.

  postgresql95-contrib     x86_64   9.5.3-2PGDG.rhel7 @perfSONAR
  postgresql95-devel       x86_64   9.5.3-2PGDG.rhel7 @perfSONAR
  postgresql95-plpython    x86_64   9.5.3-2PGDG.rhel7 @perfSONAR

Those were dependencies prior to 4.3.  As mentioned above, all of postgresql95 should go with it.

  python-daemon            noarch   1.6-4.el7 @epel7-centos7-x86_64
  …
Are those really obsolete or are they not listed properly in other rpms
depending on them?

All of the python-* packages are holdovers from Python 2, which we no longer use.  Red Hat went through the same naming weirdness with the Python 2-to-3 transition that it did during the 32-to-64-bit transition.  Basically, anything that’s python-* or python2-* is Python 2 and anything that’s Python3*-* is Python 3.  The extra wildcard in the Python3 stuff has to do with inconsistency in the way Red Hat named packages between EL7 and EPEL.

Some of the systems in our test bed get rebuilt from scratch regularly, so missing dependencies would stand out like a sore thumb.

So it should be safe to do a "yum autoremove" and get rid of those packages?

Thanks,

Gerald