perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Make toolkit results private

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Make toolkit results private

  • From: Michael Johnson <>
  • To: Ignacio Peluaga Lozada <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Make toolkit results private
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2021 10:48:21 -0500

Hi Ignacio,

Indeed, Esmond does need to be reachable by all the hosts that you're testing
to, at the very least. You could probably hack something together with
iptables and apache directives to restrict access further, but I wouldn't
have a high degree of confidence that that would be effective.

Esmond does offer several authentication methods, explained here:
https://docs.perfsonar.net/multi_ma_install.html

I'm not sure whether there is a way to lock down Esmond "reads." And keep in
mind that pscheduler also stores test results for 24-48 hours, so the test data would
still be there temporarily.

If you did want to just "hide" the test result listing, restricting access to
/perfsonar-graphs/ to authenticated users would effectively break the test listing on
the toolkit home page, I think. so that would be one way of hiding those pieces. You
might get a basic auth prompt when loading the toolkit then. Again, Esmond would still
be open.

I'm not sure what your deployment looks like, but I think that you might be
better served by using a Central MA that's separate from your
toolkits/testpoints. This way, all your test results go to the central MA,
and you have some more options for how to lock that down; however, if you do
this, you lose the ability to configure your tests using the Toolkit GUI. (It
might still work, if you manually added the central archive to the test
points.)

If you think a configuration option would be helpful (either in a config file
or in the toolkit GUI) to hide the test results panel on the Toolkit home
page, let me know. I could create a a feature request in our tracker for that
for future development.

Thanks,
Michael