perfsonar-user - [perfsonar-user] Not sure what to make of this on a Maddash system

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

[perfsonar-user] Not sure what to make of this on a Maddash system

  • From: Phil Reese <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [perfsonar-user] Not sure what to make of this on a Maddash system
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2020 10:10:50 -0800

We've several Maddash systems running  here.  In general they have all behaved similarly when issued similar commands.

Recently, all have seen the following issue at times but not all the time:

Issue the command:
systemctl restart psconfig-maddash-agent

The usual result is just the return of the prompt.  But now this message has been showing up:
Failed to restart psconfig-maddash-agent\xc2\xa0\xc2\xa0.service: Unit not found.

Needless to say, the psconfig-maddash-agent hasn't restarted.  This is then followed by a few pokes at the system looking for a pid file, any of the 'xc2,  xa0' files or processes and then a 'ps' of all processes looking for the running psconfig-maddash-agent process, finding only a 'psconfig_maddash_agent' process running.

I did find that killing the "psconfig_maddash_agent" process sometimes works to get the psconfig-maddash-agent service into a state where it can be restarted.

I've even reinstalled the"perfsonar-psconfig-maddash".

Both have worked, at different times, though neither reliably.

This has happened on multi-year operating servers and on the first invocation of "systemctl restart psconfig-maddash-agent", but not all the time in either case.

I guess this is mostly a bug report.

Phil

  • [perfsonar-user] Not sure what to make of this on a Maddash system, Phil Reese, 12/08/2020