perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] [EXTERNAL] Nagios monitoring of performance

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] [EXTERNAL] Nagios monitoring of performance

  • From: "Uhl, George D. (GSFC-423.0)[Arctic Slope Technical Services, Inc.]" <>
  • To: Tim Chown <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] [EXTERNAL] Nagios monitoring of performance
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 15:58:21 +0000
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=nasa.gov; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=nasa.gov; dkim=pass header.d=nasa.gov; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck; bh=hyLoj7TegVzEaOyTiOK4VNP/WgGjw4VxEG1gBP/ywOs=; b=R8/O8WM7ajQASdjh26MVVYxYB+D5Qf4bea7Sb6cVteKn3Z/8wAHyWpFzGg2I+q9/d9q9yUeHrtHhKepZEt+LV1z61oWvWnw90eQk+dDhTooKWJJ5tQIEF9g52CBNqD+zzO7iaK06wmHzGklj0+2S8U8Cyz20zfwBU4qNmMxuiRN7J6YHyJ9IFdsf0gky+sbEkj2FTq2hZSGJYsKV4lhYVdsQPF43ZIjw2V0WLHcyzMQLqyZR52Lhd40QG1dh9GjwZ1gOBNZgI11wi+VRsUl8n8H5U3kbAr2uA9lPg7WVwIIfZup9JRv7Z66WpnxEsO3gM5uuBh0Hjci/Gr7UoEb3Qw==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=S77WQZDUeaIC0KeMSnfUn+6s2lY54DNgJb9gAD4/D54IkDMgyOP7RoCQmmEDUrpbox/OfiWZLWGhLRQOcVjpdsW0Z1JbF5yA6DwXl3CF+ERwAvGNqVG3nujuL+DbOmQY1A2AHbGYYXdlXMECecKmZc7oHrfFysLVPCPeMBA5oTPcDfU5QzOE4cxCHl3hwPgjn+HDfRyog/RX3w3elA6vD7ydRsJqYPIZ6p7w2J3QqkheM/6dhvW+/HCxD6zwuZ/4VWHpROy5pc6EGHB7h5+HCiYwPKfU/a2tb/9LQy07uCaFUjVDT4iWKT6iTza1Nfij7q4YnnExmrgYubGporjTZA==
  • Dkim-filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.11.0 ndmsvnpf102.ndc.nasa.gov 62257400A02E

Hi Tim,

I was using nagios to generate email alerts when my mesh tests were below thresholds.  I say “was” because I’ve moved to a homegrown alerting system that (I hope) works better for my needs.  I leveraged the same checks used by Maddash such as check_loss.pl, check_throughput.pl, check_ping_loss.pl, with thresholds and check intervals specific to each test host pair.   The Nagios checks weren’t in sync with Maddash check intervals but when I received an alert email that was a trigger for me to check the Maddash graphs related to the related source/destination/test.

My motivation was to move away from Maddash dashboard alerting system because of the fixed threshold settings within any given grid.  My dashboard contains grids of test nodes with common associations but not necessarily common performance thresholds.  Thus I have grids with cells that display a variety of colors because the performance thresholds vary among the test host pairs contained in the grid.  By establishing Nagios checks with test pair specific thresholds I could customize alerting for any test pair I wanted to monitor.

George Uhl