perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Tests btw perfsonar & network device

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Tests btw perfsonar & network device

  • From: Mark Feit <>
  • To: HADJALI Mehdi <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Tests btw perfsonar & network device
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 16:47:01 +0000

HADJALI Mehdi writes:

I would like to know if it’s possible to run a throughput/latency test (via pscheduler command) between a perfsonar server and, for example, a cisco switch.

When I have launched a task between this 2 instances, I have this type of error :  “owping returned an error: owping: FILE=owping.c, LINE=1757, Unable to open control connection to [ipdest]:861.”

Throughput requires that the device at the far end has pScheduler installed and running.  There has been some work toward embedding perfSONAR in routers and switches; check with your vendor to see if they support it.

Latency can be run to any device that runs an OWAMP or TWAMP server.  A number of vendors support TWAMP; you can force pScheduler to use that instead of OWAMP by specifying the twping tool (see https://docs.perfsonar.net/pscheduler_client_tasks.html#selecting-tool-s-for-tasks).

--Mark