perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] general installation help

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] general installation help

  • From: Szymon Trocha <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] general installation help
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 09:41:50 +0100

W dniu 17.02.2020 o 16:53, Joël COSTAMAGNA pisze:
hello,

I am trying to create a perfsonar infrastructure for a school project, but i am a bit lost in the documentation about how to install and configure the different components.

I want to have a central management node on a VM and several raspberry pi that send test result to the central management node.

I successfully installed the toolkit with the full iso and I added the central-management bundle, and installed perfsonar-testpoint on raspbian on my pi.

I tried to add some tests from the web UI but I can see the test in the raspi log with journalctl, but nothing in the test-result section on the web UI.

> ```

> Running https://10.3.0.247/pscheduler/tasks/9a6906c0-a5b9-40ca-8c33-afb66ba5b752/runs/8c6ade9d-abcb-4980-9650-a5c9b64b6484
> Feb 17 16:48:00 raspi4 runner[898]: runner INFO     10692: With traceroute: trace --dest 10.XX.XX.XX --ip-version 4 --length 40 --source 10.XX.XX.XX --source-node 10.XX.XX.XX
> Feb 17 16:48:00 raspi4 runner[898]: runner INFO     10692: Run succeeded.

>```

I don't really understand how the templates work, and if I need to install maddash over pscheduler, or can I get the test results in the standard web interface?

Dear Joel,

The very general idea would be to have (see also http://docs.perfsonar.net/install_options.html):

1) measurement nodes (in your case RPi) where you install either a full Toolkit (then you have GUI) or just perfsonar-testpoint bundle that gives you the measurement node with CLI able to participate in a centrally managed mesh. There will be no local data storage.

2) central archive + Maddash where you install perfsonar-centralmanagement bundle (includes archive and dashboard). You don't install a Toolkit here. The archive will store the data coming from measurement nodes and Maddash will present them. This host will also be used to publish mesh configuration template.

Before you start any mesh configuration I suggest you test and verify:

- nodes are able to run tests between them (from CLI commands)

- necessary ports are open on FW in order to run tests and access the central server (see http://docs.perfsonar.net/manage_security.html)

Then you may approach to configure your mesh. See "Managing Multiple Hosts with pSConfig" sections in documentation but for a quick guide look at "MaDDash Quick Install Guide" link in "Displaying Measurements with MaDDash" section.

regards,

--
Szymon Trocha
Poznań Supercomputing & Networking Center