perfsonar-user - AW: [perfsonar-user] Modest sized grid has agent failure to archive once or twice a day

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

AW: [perfsonar-user] Modest sized grid has agent failure to archive once or twice a day

  • From: "Garnizov, Ivan" <>
  • To: Phil Reese <>, "" <>
  • Subject: AW: [perfsonar-user] Modest sized grid has agent failure to archive once or twice a day
  • Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 14:11:43 +0000

Hi Phil,

Sorry for the delay. Friday was a bank holiday here in Germany. I am happy to know your worries come to an end. Have no worries for me, it is a pleasant duty to support the user list.

With regards the TWAMP measurements I do not have much experience, but I have a running example.

IMHO there’ll be no real benefit for you with a TWAMP mesh.

Possibly you might think a gain would come from reduced number of measurements schedules and number of measurement archival runs, but that is unrealistic.

TWAMP indeed dictates measurements in both directions and with a single test request pS triggers a single results archival, BUT  The problem is there is no elegant way to split the mesh in 2 halves and have a disjoint pS mesh for TWAMP. That would lead to missing measurements in between the nodes in each group. There is no good way to even space the measurements in a way that allows for 1 half to operate after the other half. You have practically the same problem.

As a result you will end up with measurements in both directions initiated by each node in the mesh, which effectively only increases the number of the tests with no relaxation of the work flow. Actually the pSc archiver will have to process even more data.

The one minor benefit that one can find is in having RTT results along with OWD in a single TWAMP test/archival.

I would be glad to meet you as well, but unfortunately the SC quota is usually full for me ;)

Regards,

Ivan Garnizov

GEANT WP6T3: pS development team

GEANT WP7T1: pS deployments GN Operations

GEANT WP9T2: Software governance in GEANT