perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] iperf3 throughput test error

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] iperf3 throughput test error

  • From: Mark Feit <>
  • To: Ian Gandon <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] iperf3 throughput test error
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 14:39:09 +0000

Ian Gandon writes:

And on the destination device (server side) it generates the following in the pscheduler log:

tool-iperf3/run ERROR    Exception not enough arguments for format string.

To me it seems like the server side of iperf3 is not starting due to an error and this is causing the client side to fail and complain. Running iperf3 manually (-s on the server and -c on the client sides) works normally.

I did notice Issue #911 has the same server side error but not sure if its related.

It is related.  The exception complaint crops up while handling an error from iperf3 and, unfortunately, obscures the original error.  That’s a bug in the iperf3 plugin which was fixed and will be released in 4.2.1.

If you’d like to get to a point see what the iperf3 problem is, you can hand patch /usr/libexec/pscheduler/classes/tool/iperf3/run with the fix, which can be found at  https://github.com/perfsonar/pscheduler/commit/dae4c64289974ccbdd6f4e2bb80d89820dc87bdc.  (Obviously, this is one of those cases where if you break it, you own both pieces.  :-) )

--Mark