perfsonar-user - [perfsonar-user] Happy 'green' throughput boxes are back Re: Can't seem to get throughput tests to show up on MaDDash grid

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

[perfsonar-user] Happy 'green' throughput boxes are back Re: Can't seem to get throughput tests to show up on MaDDash grid

  • From: Phil Reese <>
  • To: Brian Candler <>, Phil Reese <>,
  • Subject: [perfsonar-user] Happy 'green' throughput boxes are back Re: Can't seem to get throughput tests to show up on MaDDash grid
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2019 13:05:49 -0700

Thanks Brian-  I saw from your earlier, in-depth emails, that you went deep and found out many things mere mortals were never meant to see.  Including the details which led to the patch you've shared.

Not being a programmer, I could barely keep up with the highest level of comments back and forth between you and Mark on the fine points of the limits file and 'lead' and 'follower' tester priorities and the dreaded Preempted classification of apparently good completed tests.

In a reference to the Configuring pScheduler Limits docs there was a warning box with this: "Warning: If the configuration file does not exist, is removed or fails to load, pScheduler will enforce no limits and grant every task request it receives."

While I appreciate the value of keeping bogons out of systems and setting test priorities, I had the feeling that for my fully crunchy shelled firewall enclosed set of agents, the limit file could be dispensed with.

On all the newly deployed agents, the /etc/pscheduler/limits.conf became /etc/pscheduler/limits.conf-original, followed by a "systemctl restart pscheduler-*" and the passage of most of a day, virtually all of my dreaded orange square Throughput boxes have turned happy green.  (the odd errors in the log files have also dried up for no clear reason that I can understand)

Not sure if this is a 'user error or a program error' but it has at least temporarily solved my nagging dashboard problem.

Phil