perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] pscheduler-server, postgres-9.6.6 and error messages

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] pscheduler-server, postgres-9.6.6 and error messages

  • From: Mark Feit <>
  • To: Andrej Ricnik <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] pscheduler-server, postgres-9.6.6 and error messages
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 15:03:52 +0000

Andrej Ricnik writes:

I'm just wondering whether we're the only ones seeing tons of errors like:

2019-04-07 06:49:03 NZST [1562-1] ERROR:  canceling autovacuum task

2019-04-07 06:49:03 NZST [1562-2] CONTEXT:  automatic vacuum of table "pscheduler.public.run"

Autovacuum will self-abort to avoid holding locks that would get in the way of queries, so it’s not really an error per se, it’s just a notification that it happened.  The default interval on CentOS is one minute, which I’d assume (but can’t guarantee) carries over into Debian/Ubuntu.

The run table is the largest in the system in terms of number of rows and amount of activity, which makes it prone to bloat.  I don’t see too much of this in the test bed or on our production systems, so you’ve either got a really buy system or the defaults on your distro are different enough to cause problems.

If you wouldn’t mind doing me a favor, grep the word “vacuum” out of the last few days of logs and send me that plus your postgresql.conf off-list.  We can do some tuning of the autovacuum behavior on a per-table basis.  Doing it globally works but is a little heavy-handed.

--Mark