perfsonar-user - [perfsonar-user] new install problems with test results and adding tests

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

[perfsonar-user] new install problems with test results and adding tests

  • From: "Fligor, Debbie" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Cc: "Fligor, Debbie" <>
  • Subject: [perfsonar-user] new install problems with test results and adding tests
  • Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2019 13:00:31 +0000

Hi everyone,

I installed 2 new CentOs7 perfsonar systems with 100G cards last December,
and finally got everything to align to finish getting them up and running
last week. I ran into a few problems. I solved one, and brute-forced the
others, but would like help fixing them in a hopefully more sustainable way.

The first one I hit was that after I configured some tests, nothing was
showing up in test results. They were all throughput tests, so when I
finished setting it up on Friday, I didn’t think much of it, expecting to
find results yesterday when I got to work. Still nothing at all. I read
through other posts on the mailing lists and started checking things. the
logs said pscheduler was running and seeing no errors, but esmond had nothing
at all in the log - as if it was never being called. Clicking on the archive
link under esmond and showed no data at all.

First thing I figured out was that even though the button for auto update was
set, it hadn’t done any updates on either system. So I did by-hand yum update
and it got everything up to the current versions as best I can tell (psconfig
is 4.1.6-1el7). So that’s my first ask - what else do I need to do for auto
update to work?

Then I added some ping tests so that I should start seeing results sooner. I
started getting errors when I changed tests, and would hit cancel, and try
again, and fairly soon on that host clicking on the tests tab got me a
spinning load circle that never resolved. So I thought I’d corrupted a
database or something on one of the two servers. Still no test results on
either. I couldn’t find any errors in any of the logs you can see on the web
page, so I tried some things that had helped others with similar errors who
had posted their fixes, like cassandara cleanup, and nothing helped. plent of
reboots as well. Convinced I had corrupted something I tried "yum erase
perfsonar-toolkit” then “yum clean all” then “yum install perfsonar-toolkit”.
That didn’t fix my test configs not saving. I got to the FAQ page and
worked my way through all the log files in the list, and found this error
repeating in /var/log/httpd/ssl_error_log:

[Mon Mar 04 21:58:42.441962 2019] [cgi:error] [pid 53339] [client
107.152.10.165:19568] AH01215: [Mon Mar 4 21:58:42 2019]
regular_testing.cgi: Config::General: Cannot create hashref from <target>
because there is, referer:
https://res-dtn.techservices.illinois.edu/toolkit/auth/admin/tests.cgi
[Mon Mar 04 21:58:42.442069 2019] [cgi:error] [pid 53339] [client
107.152.10.165:19568] AH01215: [Mon Mar 4 21:58:42 2019]
regular_testing.cgi: already a scalar option 'target' with value
'psb-bw-100g.ncsa.illinois.edu', referer:
https://res-dtn.techservices.illinois.edu/toolkit/auth/admin/tests.cgi
[Mon Mar 04 21:58:42.442156 2019] [cgi:error] [pid 53339] [client
107.152.10.165:19568] AH01215: [Mon Mar 4 21:58:42 2019]
regular_testing.cgi: at
/usr/lib/perfsonar/web-ng/root/admin/services/regular_testing.cgi line 38.,
referer:
https://res-dtn.techservices.illinois.edu/toolkit/auth/admin/tests.cgi

Looking at the tests.cgi file I figured out it was unhappy with the
/var/lib/perfsonar/toolkit/gui-tasks.conf so after making a backup copy, I
cleared the contents of the file (FWIW just removing the file gui-tasks.conf
is bad. it doesn’t re-make it when you go into the tests tab, it just throws
errors in the ssl_error_log about it not being there.) Success! now I could
load the (blank) tests screen. I could add a few tests, but then it started
giving me problems saving again (but still loads). It would complain when it
wanted to save the page of tests with Internal Server Error. my brute force
solution for this is if I hand-edit gui-tasks.conf and remove all the
“target” lines where “target" isn’t a tag, it will then save. Here’s an
example test it’s putting in the file:

<test>
local_interface enp101s0
<parameters>
tool iperf3,iperf
test_ipv4_ipv6 1
type bwctl
duration 20
packet_tos_bits 0
window_size 0
</parameters>
target res-dtn.techservices.illinois.edu
description res-dtn
<schedule>
type regular_intervals
interval 7200
</schedule>
</test>

and it doesn’t save until I remove the line:
target res-dtn.techservices.illinois.edu
(and all similar “target” lines) It’s fine when “target" is in <> like this:

<target>
address rvperf.routeviews.org
<override_parameters>
type bwping
force_ipv4 1
</override_parameters>
description RouteViews, Eugene, Oregon, US
</target>

I would like to be able to save tests from the web interface without having
to edit gui-tasks.conf (not to mention I don’t actually know what I’m doing
when I edit it). What do I need to do? There is less than a day’s data, so
blowing everything away and starting again is fine, if that fixes this, but I
ran out of steam for finding ideas on how to do that.

And once I had that solved, the host that I had deleted and re-installed
perfsonar-toolkit on started showing test results (on the dashboard and the
esmond archive), but the other host did not. Rebooting didn’t make the tests
show up. So on that host I also uninstalled and reinstalled
perfsonar-toolkit and now the tests results show up. On this one I’m curios
as to why this worked, but since it’s working and continued to update all
night, I’m not looking for a better way to do it. Now I’m moving on to
system tuning.

One last minor question for anyone that got this far. How do I set the
primary (default) interface so it’s what I want? one system is picking the
100G, the other the 1 G copper port. on both systems the 100G has the
default route for v4 and v6.

--
-debbie
Debbie Fligor, n9dn Lead Network Engineer @ Univ. of Il