perfsonar-user - RE: [perfsonar-user] Clock stability on VM

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

RE: [perfsonar-user] Clock stability on VM

  • From: Purna Mididuddi <>
  • To: Mark Feit <>, "" <>
  • Cc: Purna Mididuddi <>
  • Subject: RE: [perfsonar-user] Clock stability on VM
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 00:42:52 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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

Hello Mark,
Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond.

In the output I sent before, the offset for bare-metal is also drifting by
about 15ms (10.046 to -4.279), with all the bare-metal advantages that it
has. Note that this is to a stratum 1 server.
Is this acceptable in general, for different type of perfsonar tests? If so,
I wouldn't worry much about running the tests on VM which is also showing
similar drift.

On bare-metal:
-----------------
root@HOST:~# ntpq -p
remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset jitter
*saturn.es.net .CDMA. 1 u 57 64 177 24.547 10.046
5.885
root@HOST:~#
root@HOST:~#
root@HOST:~# ntpq -p
remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset jitter
*saturn.es.net .CDMA. 1 u 59 64 377 24.889 -4.279
5.590

Thx,
Purna