perfsonar-user - [perfsonar-user] Behind NAT and using upnp

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

[perfsonar-user] Behind NAT and using upnp

  • From: Peter Lambrechtsen <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [perfsonar-user] Behind NAT and using upnp
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2016 06:54:31 +1300
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:5O2f/R0DmBUPuhYvsmDT+DRfVm0co7zxezQtwd8ZsegSKfad9pjvdHbS+e9qxAeQG96KsbQb0KGP6vmocFdDyK7JiGoFfp1IWk1NouQttCtkPvS4D1bmJuXhdS0wEZcKflZk+3amLRodQ56mNBXsq3G/pQQfBg/4fVIsYL+kQMiN1I/ujrn60qaQSj0AvCC6b7J2IUf+hiTqne5Sv7FfLL0swADCuHpCdrce72ppIVWOg0S0vZ/or9YwuxhX7uos7cBbVqPzZeElVrFCJDUgL20v4sD371/OQRbcyGEbVzAunwZFGUDh5RTwRJr6sjfhu+w1jDGXIcDsZbsuSCy+qaF5Hky7wBwbPiI0pTmEwvd7i7hW9Uqs

Just downloaded perfsonar and getting my head around the toolset.

In my situation I am looking to have a mix of probes that are all on the internet. Some of them will be behind consumer grade routers and NATed, others will be directly connected.

For the NATed devices, has anyone put any thoughts into using the upnp interface to poke open ports on demand?

Another option would be to have the management channel secured over openvpn or similar which is how I have run my ad-hoc testing to date. When I deploy a node I include a openvpn client cert so the box boots and then opens the openvpn tunnel back to my central server. So I can then remotely ssh back into the box and do whatever I want.

Using the miniupnpc client I have opened ports on the consumer grade router for iperf/iperf3 and then been able to run iperf tests in both directions.

To me it would make sense that if you can inform the testpoint or it detects itself that it's behind a NAT, then just statically or on demand using upnpc opens the ports required for the test.

  • [perfsonar-user] Behind NAT and using upnp, Peter Lambrechtsen, 10/28/2016