perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] ntp sta nano config

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] ntp sta nano config

  • From: John-Paul Robinson <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] ntp sta nano config
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 15:25:59 -0500
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:gQ0OJhdHYtcX1WJF+aFAlSovlGMj4u6mDksu8pMizoh2WeGdxc28bR7h7PlgxGXEQZ/co6odzbGJ4+a9AidZvN6oizMrTt9lb1c9k8IYnggtUoauKHbQC7rUVRE8B9lIT1R//nu2YgB/Ecf6YEDO8DXptWZBUka3CQ0gcvz4AIDJiMK+zaWv4JDJSwROmDenZ75udlO7oRiH5ecMho43CKExzF7xq2ZMM95Rz2JuPlWV10L+/t2Y4ZdptSlcpqRypIZ7TazmcvFgHvRjBzM8PjVt6Q==

To answer my own question.

The perfsonar node needed to have NTP running to avoid this error.  The default NTP config includes ntp servers on Internet2.   Running ntpdate to sync the time before starting ntp fixed the warning about the STA_NANO setting.

sudo ntpdate ntp1.internet2.edu ntp2.internet2.edu

sudo /etc/init.d/ntpd start

Note that although the bwctl man page suggests -a as an override to allow tests without a running ntp service, this won't overcome the ability to schedule a test with the local server.  Tests involving the local machine are denied even thought /etc/bwctl-server/bwctl-server.limits suggests they shouldn't be.  This is likely because the local bwctld is started without -a by default, so it rejects the test requests resulting from the STA_NANO error.

Once ntp is running properly the STA_NANO warning is resolved and tests are accepted by the local bwctld.

~jpr