perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] OWAMP on a Pi 3

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] OWAMP on a Pi 3

  • From: Ian Bobbitt <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] OWAMP on a Pi 3
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 14:27:49 -0400
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:SlRVvR83O7hLe/9uRHKM819IXTAuvvDOBiVQ1KB+1O4cTK2v8tzYMVDF4r011RmSAtWdtqkP0reempujcFJDyK7JiGoFfp1IWk1NouQttCtkPvS4D1bmJuXhdS0wEZcKflZk+3amLRodQ56mNBWB6kG1uCYfABvkMgx8PKHoAYPIp8Wxy+2o/ZDPOUNFiCfuT6l1KUCXpAOZnM4ci4p+Nu5lyxHOqHFJZ/h+ymdvL1uXmRH3oMatupNv7nID6Loa68dcXPCiLOwDRrtCAWF+Pg==

On 9/8/16 11:51 AM, Steven Wallace wrote:
> I realize that underpowered ARM-based platforms aren't support, but I
> wonder if anyone has experience running OWAMP on a Raspberry Pi 3 or
> similar.
>

> if so, can you share some details such as OS, clock source, experience, etc.
>
> thanks,
>
> steve wallace

Steve,

A Raspberry Pi 3 should work fine for OWAMP if you only want to show loss,
but probably not appropriate to show jitter.
The Pi 3 has two means of network connectivity.

1) On-board WiFi. Pretty well known to have poor jitter performance,
especially under load or in a noisy environment. It
only supports 2.4GHz, which is pretty crowded everywhere. Loss is also pretty
much a given on WiFi.

2) On-board USB Ethernet. USB also has poor jitter performance. This is
compounded by it being shared (via on-chip hub)
with the external USB ports.

Ian Bobbitt