perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Multiple (errant) test entries show up in the listings

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Multiple (errant) test entries show up in the listings

  • From: Andrew Lake <>
  • To: Sowmya Balasubramanian <>, Casey Russell <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Multiple (errant) test entries show up in the listings
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 14:11:26 -0400

Hi Casey,

perfSONAR supports having dual-stacked, single-names hosts and to graph the two things separately. The MeshConfig options to do this go under the test_spec and are “ipv6_only 1” or “ipv4_only 1” respectively. If you just setup tests without specifying one of these options AND you are using only hostnames you are at the mercy of DNS. BWCTL will prefer v6 but fallback to v4 if it can’t find a v6 address for both endpoints. In contrast,  if you specify the ipv6_only option, it will not do this fallback. If you are seeing sporadic v4 results, I would suspect that there is some type of DNS resolution issue with one or more of the endpoints. Being explicit about what you want the test to do should at least prevent your performance results from being tainted by this occurrence.

Also, if you are using the meshconfig to also generate a dashboard, the resulting graphs and dashboards will see ipv6_only and/or ipv4_only options and generate dashboards and graph URLs that honor those options (FWIW there is an ipversion GET parameter it sets to 4 or 6 in the graph URLs). Hopefully that clears up any confusion.