perfsonar-user - [perfsonar-user] Multiple (errant) test entries show up in the listings

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

[perfsonar-user] Multiple (errant) test entries show up in the listings

  • From: Casey Russell <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [perfsonar-user] Multiple (errant) test entries show up in the listings
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 11:07:42 -0500

Group,

     A little over a year ago, I asked about a bug in what was probably 3.4.1? at the time.  Where I have testing hosts that are dual stack.  The single host name has a A record and a AAAA record in DNS.  This results (over time) in lots of junk entries in my testing results table.  The majority of the time, the tests run correctly, and collect data, store data and keep the data in the databases, indexed by the IPv6 address since that gets preference.

     However, once in a while for one reason or another when a test is kicked off, the DNS lookup results in an A record returned instead of a AAAA.  That creates a one-time orphaned test result that creates a new test results line on my toolkit page.  It looks just like the actual test results for those two hosts except that it has IPv4 addresses listed instead of IPv6.

     Micheal Johnson responded last year and said it was a known bug https://code.google.com/p/perfsonar-ps/issues/detail?id=1064  but I haven't seen anything new on it.

     Does anyone else have this problem?  Do you have instructions for manually removing these entries from the databases or cleaning up the mess it makes?  Any news on when this bug's going to get into the pipeline for fixing?  Just looking for an update, but more importantly (if it's going to be a while) a way to fix the cosmetic damage myself so I can quit explaining those lines to my users.

Casey Russell
Network Engineer
Kansas Research and Education Network

2029 Becker Drive, Suite 282