perfsonar-user - RE: [perfsonar-user] Forcing parallel flows for Throughput test

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

RE: [perfsonar-user] Forcing parallel flows for Throughput test

  • From: "Rittenhouse, Robert (LACA)" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Cc: Szymon Trocha <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [perfsonar-user] Forcing parallel flows for Throughput test
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 21:31:18 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

I am having issues manually running owping between the server at our central location and the test endpoint that I have set up in the field. That (probably firewall) issue aside for now, iperf3 did report when I ran 20 parallel instances that it was able to reach 288Mbps combined (the circuit is 500 Mbps). There were almost 4,000 TCP re-transmits though. I'm searching around to see how many re-transmits are reasonable but I haven't yet come upon that information.

We have a Cisco 6500 core with a Firewall Services Module. The perfsonar toolkit server is installed on a server that is connected to a port on the 6500. The data then has to traverse through the FWSM module in the 6500 and over to our customers network where I have this device. We have a VPLS (I believe) circuit that's basically a layer 2 point-to-point fiber circuit that spits out at the customers location into a Cisco 3560. The testpoint node hangs off of a port on our 3560 CPE gear.

[Customer LAN] <===>[Cisco 3560] <===> (Time Warner Cloud) <===> Cisco 6500 <=====> [perfsonar server]
                                            ^[testpoint]

There is data on the circuit almost 24x7 but it goes down during the late late night/mid morning after backups are done running on this particular circuit. For instance, today there was a maximum of (30 second average) 150Mbps (total) passing through it at one point.

Does that help at all? The perfsonar toolkit web ui acts weird too. It seems like if I create a TCP throughput test and then I go back and change it to UDP, it doesn't seem to want to work. I have to re-create the test it seems. I just created a second throughput test (to the same testpoint host). Shouldn't there be a second test listed under test results? Or is it only 1 because it's the same destination? It acts very strange sometimes but that's a different email.

Thanks,

Robert Rittenhouse
Network Coordinator
Licking Area Computer Association (LACA)
(740) 345-3400 ext. 220