perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Forcing parallel flows for Throughput test

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Forcing parallel flows for Throughput test

  • From: Szymon Trocha <>
  • To: "Rittenhouse, Robert (LACA)" <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Forcing parallel flows for Throughput test
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 09:47:30 +0100

W dniu 26.01.2016 o 19:01, Rittenhouse, Robert (LACA) pisze:
I have a Perfsonar Centos Toolkit server set up as a central manager for (hopefully) automating our throughput and latency testing that we only do reactively.

My issue is, when I add a standard TCP throughput test to a remote Ubuntu perfsonar-testpoint machine, it's only able to pull about 25Mbps max for a single stream. There is a point-to-point fiber link between my building where the Central test server is and where the testpoint resides. We had this issue with iperf and we had to have it use a lot of processes to try and max the link out. It is a 500 Mbps link if that helps.

How would I accomplish this task with perfsonar and keep it automated?

Hi Robert,

There are many factors which may limit your throughput. Are there any network segments and network devices between the two systems? Is there any concurrent traffic on the links between the two systems?
Did you look at http://docs.perfsonar.net/manage_tuning.html for host tuning?

Szymon Trocha

Poznań Supercomputing & Netw. Center ::: NETWORK OPERATION CENTER
Tel. +48 618582022 ::: http://noc.man.poznan.pl