perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Deploying perfsonar on Rasperry(Raspbian) - wont start

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Deploying perfsonar on Rasperry(Raspbian) - wont start

  • From: Daniel Doyle <>
  • To: Tammo Oolup <>
  • Cc: perfsonar-user <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Deploying perfsonar on Rasperry(Raspbian) - wont start
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 10:05:50 -0500

Hi Tanno,

Correct, the endpoints are capable of performing tests but not storing or visualizing the results. What you are describing sounds like the textbook example for a central measurement archive setup. Check out some of the docs here: http://docs.perfsonar.net/multi_ma_install.html

In short, you can set up a number of these endpoint hosts that perform tests to other hosts, but have them ship their results off to a "big" host that is running the full UI, measurement archive, etc and then do all the graphing and such there.

You may actually want to start here: http://docs.perfsonar.net/multi_overview.html. One of the potential gotchas for people doing this is that ad hoc tests, such as those initiated by you off the command line, don't store their values back to any measurement archive. A lot of people address this by using the mesh configuration tools to have endpoints pull down their test instructions which get converted automatically to regularly occurring tests and, once things are configured correctly, will ship their results back to the central MA.

Hope that helps. As always, the lists are here if you get stuck or have questions.

-Dan