perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Running perfSONAR server on Ubuntu

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Running perfSONAR server on Ubuntu

  • From: Antoine Delvaux <>
  • To: "Rittenhouse, Robert (LACA)" <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Running perfSONAR server on Ubuntu
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 17:20:41 +0000

Hello Robert,

The usual setup for a perfSONAR mesh is to have measurements running between
different points of a network. A central server takes care of distributing
the configuration (what we call the mesh config) and of visualising the
measurement results. This can result in what we call a full mesh, where each
perfSONAR node makes measurements towards all the other nodes, or can be a
reduced mesh where you measure only the links you’re interested in.

In your situation, you can have a reduced hub-and-spoke ‘mesh’. For this
you’ll need to have one central perfSONAR toolkit server in your own network
and one perfSONAR node in each school network where you provide fiber.

The central perfSONAR toolkit server needs to be running the full perfSONAR
toolkit, thus under CentOS 6. This is the host that will hold the mesh setup
and that will collect the measurement data. Depending on the number of
measurements you will be running, you’ll want this host to be relatively
powerful. On this server, you’ll need to define and publish your ‘mesh’
configuration. This process is documented at
http://docs.perfsonar.net/multi_mesh_server_config.html

The perfSONAR nodes in the school networks can be built with a minimal setup
where you only deploy the perfsonar-tools and perfsonar-testpoint bundles
that we provide for Debian/Ubuntu. You can have other software running on
this machine if you want (i.e.: if you already have on your CPE device), but
you have to know that the measurements results can potentially be affected by
the performance of the device or the network interface when running the
measurements (that depends on how heavily loaded and how powerful that CPE
device is and if the network interface is used by other network intensive
activities).

Each of these perfSONAR nodes (on the CPE devices), will be consuming the
‘mesh’ configuration file that you have published on your central server.
The mesh-config-agent is taking care of reading it and running the
measurements towards your central server, storing the measurement data on the
central server too (you define that in your central mesh config). As I said
earlier, this is documented at
http://docs.perfsonar.net/multi_mesh_agent_config.html

For viewing your measurement results, you’ll just use the perfSONAR toolkit
GUI that will be available on your central server. There you’ll see the
measurements towards and from each of your CPE device. This means that the
only host where you need to run CentOS is the central server in your premises.

Just a note about that, CentOS usage is in no way discouraged, this is
currently the oldest and the most supported distro for which we provide
packages. When using CentOS you have 2 different installation options:
installing the whole server from the perfSONAR installation ISO or installing
CentOS on your own and then adding, with the help of yum, the required
packages bundles that we provide.

One important thing to remember with perfSONAR measurements: have a stable
clock on each of your measurement device. Look at your ntp configuration on
both the central server and each of your CPE device. See
http://docs.perfsonar.net/manage_ntp.html for more information on configuring
NTP on your central server and
http://docs.perfsonar.net/install_debian.html#step-3-verify-ntp-and-tuning-parameters
on your CPE devices.

I’m not sure we currently have a rule-of-thumb about the number of test
points supported. It would certainly be dependant on the frequency, duration
and type of the measurements you’re running. We recommend to have at least 4
GB RAM and 50 GB disk available on the central server, raising those numbers
will provide room for storing and displaying more measurements results.

I hope this answer your questions. Other perfSONAR users having a similar
setup can probably comment with their own experience and maybe some
recommendations for the central server specs.

Antoine.