perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Bandwidth measurement with LIVA X 2GB/32GB eMMC

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Bandwidth measurement with LIVA X 2GB/32GB eMMC

  • From: Brian Tierney <>
  • To: Daniel Doyle <>
  • Cc: Hyojoon Kim <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Bandwidth measurement with LIVA X 2GB/32GB eMMC
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 12:12:26 -0600

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 12:00 PM, Daniel Doyle <> wrote:
Hi Joon,

Sorry to hear about that. A couple of questions / debugging ideas:

- Are you seeing this in both directions?
- Have you tried using the same port with a different device?
- If you're using / not using jumbo frames has the device been configured accordingly?

fwiw, I did not apply any tunings out of the box on a LIVA X and got >900Mbps on a local network. It's possible some of those tunings might not be appropriate for a machine like that, but I have't dug into it.

I agree that might be the issue. The tunings on fasterdata might not be right for a small node.
See if the original default debian settings are better.

-Dan

> On Dec 22, 2015, at 11:58 AM, Hyojoon Kim <> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> We decided to play with a LIVA X 2GB/32GB eMMC node with perfSONAR 3.5. However, I am getting around 535Mbps instead of 940+Mbps when I initiate a bwctl test to another local perfSONAR node we have. Between two Dell R610 servers with perfSONAR, we do get over 950Mbps, so it’s likely not a network problem.
>
> I have generally followed the instructions here (http://docs.perfsonar.net/install_debian.html), and installed three packages:
> apt-get install perfsonar-testpoint
> apt-get install perfsonar-toolkit-security
> apt-get install perfsonar-toolkit-sysctl
>
> I also did the Linux Tuning, which is indicated here:
> http://fasterdata.es.net/host-tuning/linux/
>
> Does anyone know what I am missing? I do have Ubuntu 14.04.3 Desktop OS on this. Maybe switching to the well-tested Ubuntu 12.04 is better?
>
> ===
> $ lsb_release -a
> No LSB modules are available.
> Distributor ID: Ubuntu
> Release:        14.04
> Codename:       trusty
>
> $ uname -a
> Linux perfbox-livaxtest-01 3.19.0-39-generic #44~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Dec 2 10:00:35 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> ===
>
> Thanks,
> Joon

Dan Doyle
GlobalNOC Software Developer
1-812-856-3892

--
Brian Tierney, http://www.es.net/tierney
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet), Berkeley National Lab