perfsonar-user - [perfsonar-user] looking for guidance configuring multiple MaDDash dashboards and grids

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

[perfsonar-user] looking for guidance configuring multiple MaDDash dashboards and grids

  • From: "Christopher J. Tengi" <>
  • To: perfsonar-user <>
  • Subject: [perfsonar-user] looking for guidance configuring multiple MaDDash dashboards and grids
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 19:03:49 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

I am looking to add some grids and/or dashboards to our MaDDash host. Right
now, we have MaDDash running on our MA, with the display being generated by a
mesh.json file. We would like to be able to do 2 things: add support for
another mesh (or 2), and add some temporary grids for short-to-medium term
tests that are not part of a mesh. These tests are defined “by hand” on
individual perfSONAR nodes.

I am assuming that the latter would be considered manual configuration ( :-)
), and the http://software.es.net/maddash/mesh_config.html says that "all
existing groups, grids, checks, dashboards and general properties that are
defined outside the mesh will be preserved.” Section 2.3 of
https://www.perfsonar.net/deploy/installation-and-configuration/maddash-howto/
implies that if there is an existing maddash.yaml before the script is run
to process the mesh file, that the configuration in the original maddash.yaml
will be preserved. If that is the case, can I just try editing the existing
maddash.yaml file and have my changes preserved the next time the mesh.json
changes and the cron job is run to update maddash.yaml?

For the latter case of creating multiple dashboards from multiple mesh.json
files, it looks like I just need to add more “<mesh>” blocks to
/opt/perfsonar_ps/mesh_config/etc/gui_agent_configuration.conf. Would it
make sense to create a “fake” mesh for my short-to-medium term tests,
specifying that there is no mesh agent on any of the end-points?

Hmmm… Continuing my Google searches while composing this message, I just
found https://libraries.io/github/esnet/esnet-perfsonar-mesh, which says that
manual configuration can be placed in maddash.yaml.template. Is there
similar functionality outside of ESnet’s perfSONAR/MaDDash deployment?

Thanks,
/Chris