perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] bwctl throughput - JSON parsing error

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] bwctl throughput - JSON parsing error

  • From: Brian Candler <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] bwctl throughput - JSON parsing error
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 14:22:41 +0000

On 30/11/2015 13:24, Jason Zurawski wrote:
Looks like that page had both sets of references to ports - but I took
your suggestion and noted that the older range is in fact older.
Oddly though, after changing to the 5001-5900 range, I got this error:

$ bwctl -T iperf3 -s x.x.x.x
bwctl: Using tool: iperf3
bwctl: 16 seconds until test results available

SENDER START
bwctl: Unable to initiate peer handshake with [y.y.y.y]:6180 - canceling

SENDER END

where y.y.y.y is the IP address of the perfsonar node (i.e. the host on which I was running the above bwctl command) and x.x.x.x is the remote Ubuntu node.

The perfsonar node is running bwctl 1.5.6, and the remote node is 1.5.3

Also I note that the perfsonar node's /etc/bwctld/bwctd.conf includes both port ranges:

# peer_port (port to open peer "server" connection on.) If this daemon
# is running the iperf "receiver" then it will also open a peer tcp
# connection using these port numbers. This extra connection is used to
# validate clocks between the two bwctld processes and to exchange results.
# Must be specified as a valid range with the first value less than the
# second. (A single value is only allowed if it is '0'.)
# (defaults to 0 - let the system pick an ephemeral port)
peer_port 6001-6200

# test_port (ports to run the test tool "server" on.) This is set to a range
# since some tests can run in parallel, and need to be able to open servers on
# separate ports. The daemon will cycle through this range assigning each ports
# to each test, as needed.
# (defaults to 5001-5900)
test_port 5001-5900

Anyway, I've opened both port ranges now, and it seems to work.

Regards,

Brian.