perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] bwctl throughput - JSON parsing error

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] bwctl throughput - JSON parsing error

  • From: Brian Candler <>
  • To: Antoine Delvaux <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] bwctl throughput - JSON parsing error
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 13:13:43 +0000

On 30/11/2015 12:14, Antoine Delvaux wrote:
Hi Brian,

I’m not sure about exact changes to the JSON parsing that could make your
test fail, but I know we have a newer bwctl package available for
Debian/Ubuntu that you could try out. 1.5.2 is getting a bit old and the
error you see could be an incompatibility between the current regular_testing
daemon parsing code and this older bwctl version.
I'll look into this. However I think the problem was down to firewall rules: I found I had enabled the old TCP port range (6001-6200) instead of the new one (5001-5900). It would be good if more prominence could be given to the new range in
http://www.perfsonar.net/deploy/security-considerations/#Using_perfSONAR_with_Firewalls

I think the JSON error is actually saying "I can't parse an empty JSON string". I think the error message could be made more helpful in that case.

There is already a flag "$in_json" in /opt/perfsonar_ps/regular_testing/lib/perfSONAR_PS/RegularTesting/Parsers/Iperf3.pm, so if $in_json is not set then don't attempt to parse the JSON, but return a message which contains $stdout instead?

You can try to use the apt repository you find at
http://downloads.perfsonar.net/debian/perfsonar-wheezy-3.5.list to install a
newer version of bwctl (1.5.6) and see what’s the behaviour. The packages
coming from this repo are working with Debian Wheezy, Ubuntu 12.04 and Ubuntu
14.04. You seem to run Ubuntu 14.10 which we don’t explicitly support, but
you might want to give the bwctl package a try.
Actually it's 12.04 I'm using:

# cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=precise
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS"

Other than that, did you try to increase the regular_testing daemon logging
to DEBUG in regular_testing-logger.conf ?
I hadn't - have done so now and will see if that turns up anything interesting.

Regards,

Brian.