perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Some questions about a slide

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Some questions about a slide

  • From: Eli Dart <>
  • To: "Wu, Xiaoban" <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Some questions about a slide
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 15:44:43 -0700

Hi Xiaoban,

Segment by segment testing has the potential of showing high performance even when there are problems. To see why, take a look at the TCP loss graph here:

When the latency is low, performance can still be good even in the presence of packet loss.

Note that in saying "segment by segment testing" we mean something like the following. Label each perfSONAR host in the path, in order, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ... N. Then test from 1-2, from 2-3, from 3-4, and so on. This method is flawed, because the maximum latency of a test is governed by the length of any one segment. It is possible that some segments are long and others are short, but in most networks the segments will be short enough that the latency will be 10 milliseconds or less.  Depending on the amount of loss, TCP can still perform OK over such distances, thus making it difficult to identify the problem segment using this testing methodology.

So, I find it's better to pick a test host as an anchor and gradually increase the length of the test.

Looking at the diagram on slide 20, and picking the ESnet perfSONAR host closest to the national laboratory (dark green) as an anchor point, we might test first to the ESnet perfSONAR host closest to the handoff to Internet2. This makes sense because in ESnet we monitor our own network internally and have a high degree of confidence that it is functioning correctly. If performance between the two ESnet testers is not what it should be, then we immediately have something to investigate within ESnet.

We would then test to the closest Internet2 perfSONAR host on the other side of the ESnet/Internet2 peering.  If that's good, then test to the far Internet2 perfSONAR host (the one closest to the peering between Internet2 and the purple regional network).

Then, test to the perfSONAR host in the regional network just beyond the peering with Internet2. And so on.

If performance goes down significantly as a function of distance as you test progressively further, you may have a problem close to your anchor tester. If that's the case, try starting at the other end of the path.

The way you know the long path is clean is that a TCP BWCTL test performs well.  If there is loss, it will perform poorly.  In the real-world testing from which these diagrams were derived, the difference between the performance of the clean test and the dirty test was dramatic - it's not a subtle thing.

Does this help?

Thanks,

Eli