perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Running ping tests on parallel using bwctl

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Running ping tests on parallel using bwctl

  • From: Murilo Vetter <>
  • To: Murilo Vetter <>
  • Cc: Andrew Lake <>,
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Running ping tests on parallel using bwctl
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 19:08:52 -0300 (BRT)

Hello guys,

I have a schedule of tests like this one here:
--
141b0b0255e229befeb515acdf6c4f3d2e9f5005;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;ping-683041.xml
0ac9dca80d9d77f0bcf4e27d4a9e2491da6a4c81;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;ping-772733.xml
c13a6aa163d9660232a11cdf304e2a8b2364e0b6;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;ping-656181.xml
3e4e5ec34fde89244daad534ae8d37cce3ce3988;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;ping-900587.xml
5fd85af0eb7cad09393256d49d740f759dfb22ac;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;ping-570991.xml
31c53c3802caa8a455553be44f96153cee872c97;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;ping-649828.xml
a97f8c76ac9d101c0da1ade18ee0ec8a21ae655b;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;ping-958058.xml
e18f21d41c7730e489ba337f9a237f36c09de69b;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;ping-450621.xml
b3a9a57f5f01362986c44495aad3ff256e55de1b;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;ping-743685.xml
6b83a03f3025022ca670ab9918b64d39155e6a2d;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;traceroute-665890.xml
e03d785b607916297570c3c1da3d4a59ab0c1e1d;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;traceroute-533069.xml
4eeeb6d07335991be64972ff1cfa5c7519e6446f;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;traceroute-297058.xml
419ceab61b054a4b7fad93ffb3902721b46fef3d;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;traceroute-496597.xml
8472b7d06843ab95d5bd89924f980e1dd188f02f;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;traceroute-834192.xml
d3fe8cf6319a2d84cd8b6a8c95a879a0c022a3e6;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;traceroute-686590.xml
f8ab4600bb2fa13bb677249c4dc127cb0720bbc4;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;traceroute-1022917.xml
62ef17cbe971a30284cd7472def55b214a85de7e;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;tracepath-149498.xml
7a43a1820722d22f9b2b01275b415c25e637d4aa;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;tracepath-736538.xml
e0c097155e5c0cb8487712b75eceacd4f668b321;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;tracepath-39603.xml
49c4c2c6c267760ab7e1cb2614dd3891b50dabee;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;tracepath-74723.xml
4b04f5127e65f902eae234d6ac5016cbf283d8ff;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;tracepath-272798.xml
6c9f3832bf33327bc650201540b9cd0327e17769;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;tracepath-863258.xml
89e1fcf9a8d2d440a50664b4f774e8cf5d2c3320;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;tracepath-20774.xml
7ecae0f86783c22a801a490b5e462d0b7ffff214;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;tracepath-732090.xml
d31cb7aac625f26959a3e56ce403785c7213223a;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;owamp-603249.xml
59745858eca9db5d8fa525572d7c7ce03c41fb13;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;owamp-230515.xml
71b7398b2431e69f169f6625baea002332bf873a;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;owamp-895581.xml
8a6fb00c8a08404bd64d821088cb45dece595b97;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;owamp-826215.xml
3d123a48d9f0b4324e84a336f460e671232c57f6;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;owamp-380544.xml
66d6f5d55be87a111277e092262cf624516219fb;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;owamp-610138.xml
67e911d4b5a16574352cf639db77c0238c15fead;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;owamp-155663.xml
64f7d9c9627b8a9bc2148b54de659b1d2a531384;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;owamp-56063.xml
a59d11e757bc5c64f97a80b258bf12728ed2c065;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;owamp_summary-614924.xml
cb1145e39fc8453606b3db0774a0083c63c962bf;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;owamp_summary-495492.xml
5730c3745ceef4a6069ba8f97e5d5902ab7a473a;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;owamp_summary-519443.xml
59d53efe02ff6e36a8cbf10fc045a96b4334752c;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;owamp_summary-183782.xml
683d3b90c076232678da3528521327b0b19db63b;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;owamp_summary-348977.xml
1f7cb3816faa9a8fc5526c35c76c6c20402f0529;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;owamp_summary-972253.xml
e001ad9b8e0fd164b0827e5667890dc42e5e1494;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;owamp_summary-459788.xml
45c68572a1d37a70be1496fd7149089bf14772f1;*/5;*;*;*;*;http://200.237.196.148:8080/ma/sqlma.php;owamp_summary-79176.xml
--

This schedule says that every 5 minutes it should run all these tests, which includes ping, traceroute, tracepath, owamp (raw mode) and owamp (summary mode).

We are running all the test on parallel using the new bwctl which call each tool to execute each tests.

For this first experiment, I am worried because I am receiving a lot of this warning:
--
bwctl: local tool did not complete in allocated time frame and was killed
--

As I noticed, it occurs mainly to OWAMP, TRACEROUTE and TRACEPATH.

In this case it is a problem for me, since I was expecting that the tests should be executed and I receive all the results, since I think all these tests could run in parallel.

In this case, this kind of problem would be consider a fail test.

My questions:

1) Is there a way to solve or minimize it?
2) Is there a way to invoke the tools using bwctl just to invoke the tools, waiting the tools to give the answer?
3) Could I increase the time to wait the result of the tests?
4) Does BWCTL always wait the full time it allocates, even if the tool still are running and sending results. Sometimes, BWCTL cuts the full result of the tests because the time frame finish. Other times, it gives the impression that the tests finish, and bwctl is waiting the time frame. Is there a way to tell BWCTL to wait for the final result and output the result?
5) I think BWCTL should control parallel execution just for IPERF/IPERF3/NUTTCP, not for the other tools. Is this the way it work?

Thanks in advance for your help and hope to be clear in the doubts.

Murilo Vetter
Analista REMEP-FLN/PoP-SC
PoP-SC - Ponto de Presença da RNP em Santa Catarina
REMEP-FLN - Rede Metropolitana de Educação e Pesquisa da Região de Florianópolis
RNP - Rede Nacional de Ensino e Pesquisa
UFSC - Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina
SETIC - Superintendência de Governança Eletrônica e Tecnologia da Informação e Comunicação
Fundações de Apoio FEESC e FEPESE
--/--

www.pop-sc.rnp.br
remep.pop-sc.rnp.br