perfsonar-user - [perfsonar-user] fail2ban and watcher_log_archive_cleanup cron emails in new installed 3.4.1 instance, and hard drive install issue

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

[perfsonar-user] fail2ban and watcher_log_archive_cleanup cron emails in new installed 3.4.1 instance, and hard drive install issue

  • From: Horst Severini <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [perfsonar-user] fail2ban and watcher_log_archive_cleanup cron emails in new installed 3.4.1 instance, and hard drive install issue
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 15:10:51 -0600

Hi all,

as we have just discussed in the throughput meeting, we are seeing
some strange emails in our newly installed 3.4.1 test machine,
ps3.ochep.ou.edu .

One is that fail2ban is now trying to send email to
,

claiming to be from
,
so there must be some incorrect
initial configuration going on during the installation. There's not a new
version of fail2ban out, though, it's from last August:

fail2ban-0.8.14-1.el6.noarch

But something else must've changed in the mail configuration somehow ...

The other thing is that the nightly cron job cron-service_watcher,
which runs /opt/perfsonar_ps/toolkit/scripts/watcher_log_archive_cleanup,
apparently wasn't quite configured correctly, either, since it still
contains

STORE_LOCATION=/mnt/store/NPTools/debug

which is causing a nightly error mail about that directory not being there.

Did I miss a configuration step there somehow?

I installed this machine about a week ago, on one of our old KOI boxes
which used to be our production PS boxes, before we upgraded to the R310s..

Oh, and the other strange thing is that I was trying to install the other
KOI box, it wouldn't let me, since during the PS installation,
when it comes time to choose where to install the OS on,
anaconda can't find the 160 GB hard drive, so there's no way to continue
the install.

Which makes no sense at all, since I can still boot up the old PS-3.2
instance from the hard drive just fine, so there's obviously nothing wrong
with the hard drive at all.

I also verified all the BIOS settings, they're identical between the
two KOI boxes, so why would one of them allow me to install on the hard drive,
and the other one won't find it at that time?

How can I debug this? We don't immediately need it right now,
but I'd like to be able to install a test bandwidth node there at some point,
to have a full test set.

Thanks,

Horst