perfsonar-user - [perfsonar-user] High disk usage due to heavy logging activity

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

[perfsonar-user] High disk usage due to heavy logging activity

  • From: Darryl K Wohlt <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [perfsonar-user] High disk usage due to heavy logging activity
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 17:41:32 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

My OWAMP host on the USCMS T2 mesh keeps running out of disk space in its root partition, which essentially kills the machine.  As far as I can determine, the main offender is the /var/log/perfsonar/regular_testing.log, which collects over 3GB (>155K messages/hour) of information each day, and of course the logs are retained for 7 days.  The disk space runs out within a few days, and I have to remove the older regular_testing.log.[1-7] files to get things going again.  I’ve even set up an MRTG job to monitor it and send me email when it hits 95%.

PSONAR4 Disk Usage

System:

PSONAR4

Maintainer:

Resource:

UCD-SNMP-MIB:dskTable

`Weekly' Graph (30 Minute Average)
Weekly Graph

Max root

 100.0 %

Average root

 79.1 %

Current root

 62.0 %

Max boot

 30.0 %

Average boot

 30.0 %

Current boot

 30.0 %

Obviously in this case I missed the email.  :-}

Has anyone else noticed something like this?  Is there a parameter I can set to reduce the number of retained logs or reduce the amount of information logged?

Thanks,

Darryl

Darryl K. Wohlt

Network Architect I