perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] tips for One way latency and bw test on separate NICs on perfSonar 3.4rc2

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] tips for One way latency and bw test on separate NICs on perfSonar 3.4rc2

  • From: Michael Johnson <>
  • To: Zhi-Wei Lu <>
  • Cc: , Daniel Doyle <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] tips for One way latency and bw test on separate NICs on perfSonar 3.4rc2
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 17:26:10 -0500

Hi Zhi-Wei,

I'm not aware of a way to do this, but a lot of people are out this week.
I'll double-check next week.

Thanks,
Michael

On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 12:34:49PM -0800, Zhi-Wei Lu wrote:
Hi all,

I am reviving my old thread as I am progressing more on this TWO NICs setup.

I have configured two NICs with Linux policy routing, with one NIC as a primary, currently performing regular tests with bwping, bwtraceroute, and bwctl, while the other NIC was configured for powstream (one way latency tests). I manually configured with the configure file in
/opt/perfsonar_ps/regular_testing/etc/regular_testing.conf

After each <test>, I manually and explicitly added (rather than using implied "default" interface, problematic in a multi-NICs situation)

local_interface eth0
for bwping, bwtraceroute, and bwctl

local_interface eth1
for latency tests (powstream)

I am wondering how I can modify my configuration files to advertise INCOMING powstream only on ip address corresponding to eth1 and other tests to eth0. Currently, the web GUI advertises all tests on both interfaces.

Thank you very much for your insight and have a wonderful New Year!

On 07/30/2014 12:38 PM, Trey Dockendorf wrote
That's a problem with Linux I believe. Having two interfaces on the same
subnet will result in both IPs responding but if you do an arping to each IP
you will likely see that the same MAC address is hit every time. I do not
know the right way to fix this, so I've always avoided that situation of
configuring two NICs on the same subnet.

RedHat has knowledge base articles regarding this but it's for subscribers
only. Here's something similar but not requiring a subscription,
http://z-issue.com/wp/linux-rhel-6-centos-6-two-nics-in-the-same-subnet-but-secondary-doesnt-ping/

Not sure if that's the problem your describing.

- Trey

Trey Dockendorf
Systems Analyst I
Texas A&M University
Academy for Advanced Telecommunications and Learning Technologies
Phone: (979)458-2396
Email:

Jabber: