perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] moving from perfSONAR MDM to perfSONAR PS

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] moving from perfSONAR MDM to perfSONAR PS

  • From: Antoine Delvaux <>
  • To: Hervey Allen <>
  • Cc: Brian Tierney <>, "<>" <>, Jason Zurawski <>, Aaron Brown <>, "Steven G. Huter" <>, " Kuhn" <>, " Regnauld" <>, " Armas" <>, "" <>, " buettrich" <>, Trocha Szymon <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] moving from perfSONAR MDM to perfSONAR PS
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 18:23:12 +0000
  • Accept-language: fr-BE, en-US

Hello Hervey,

We're looking into this migration, trying to provide a smooth upgrade path
for MDM deployments. There are different situations and so different upgrade
scenarios will be proposed.

To my knowledge, the TEIN MDM nodes you mention are only BWCTL MP (OPPD
based) hosts. They only provide a measurement point and do not store data
locally, so there should be no worry about data loss.

For now those servers should stay with the MDM packages. We'll continue to
provide packages from the GÉANT MDM repository during a transition period of
many months (at least up to the 3.5 toolkit release). We'll also make sure
those installations are compatible, as much as possible, with pS toolkits
deployments so that measurements can be run from and to those hosts.

Then, depending on which deployment level they want to comply with [1]
they'll need to switch yum repositories (for level 1 or level 2) or be
re-installed and re-configured with the new pS toolkit (for level 3
installation, some MDM configuration files might then be re-used after
re-installation). There is no hurry for such a migration and we suggest to
wait a bit after the 3.4 official release that the upgrade paths are fully
tested. We'll then advertise and document the different upgrade scenarios.

There are some automatic measurements scheduled between the TEIN MDM nodes
and some GÉANT hosts. Those measurements are stored in a centralised GÉANT
MA (a perfSONAR MDM SQL MA instance) operated and maintained by GÉANT. We're
looking at the possibilities to migrate data from this MA to a new
centralised MA that will use the upcoming MA provided by the 3.4 toolkit.
This is a long term approach and we don't have the details about that now
though.

If an SQL MA has been deployed within TEIN or some TEIN partners, a similar
migration will then also need to take place. I'm not sure if there are such
deployments, I don't have that information but will consult with my GÉANT
colleagues (Szymon Trocha, cced, will probably know more about that).

I hope this answers your current questions, and if some other questions pop
up during your workshop next week, please forward that here.

Kind regards,

[1] See https://code.google.com/p/perfsonar-ps/wiki/Level1and2Install

-- --
Antoine Delvaux Skype: toninb
Systems Engineer http://www.dante.net
DANTE http://www.geant.net
+221.703368313 XMPP:

PGP fingerprint: DC65 0D8B 6938 9229 33C3 18CA 4EB6 09D3 A333 3378

DANTE is the trading name of Delivery of Advanced Network Technology
to Europe Limited registered in England & Wales. Registration Number
2806796. Registered Office - 9400 Garsington Road, Oxford Business
Park, Oxford OX4 2HN.

Le 22 août 2014 à 15:04, Hervey Allen
<>