perfsonar-user - [perfsonar-user] perfSonar 3.4rc2 owamp and regular ping test issue

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

[perfsonar-user] perfSonar 3.4rc2 owamp and regular ping test issue

  • From: Zhi-Wei Lu <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Cc: Pulak K Chowdhury <>
  • Subject: [perfsonar-user] perfSonar 3.4rc2 owamp and regular ping test issue
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 21:35:15 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Hi all,

We are testing with the new perfSonar 3.4rc2 and we encountered a few bumps along the way.  In this test box, we configured owamp test and it was working.  We then setup traceroute and regular “Ping Test”, these two tests failed.  I found out that the problem was the chosen interface “p1p1”, perfSonar complains about:

'bwping: Unable to connect to p1p1',

'bwtraceroute: Unable to connect to p1p1',

By changing the interface from “p1p1” to “default”, traceroute started to work, but ping still failed.  The failing “ping” test was found out to be “-s 1000” problem, by reducing the size to 995, it worked!  This problem is probably due to a departmental firewall (outside of our control).

The log file show ping result, but I could not see the result in the “Throughput/Latency Graphs”, I then disabled owamp and I still can not see result.  Shall I delete the old owamp results?

Thank you.

Zhi-Wei Lu

IET-CR-Network Operations Center

University of California, Davis