perfsonar-user - [perfsonar-user] $120 perfsonar nodes

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

[perfsonar-user] $120 perfsonar nodes

  • From: Brian Tierney <>
  • To: "<>" <>, TLPW PerfSONAR Club <>
  • Subject: [perfsonar-user] $120 perfsonar nodes
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 09:40:27 -0700

Hi Folks:

I've made some progress on getting perfSONAR running on my $120 cubox-i4Pro.

Attempt #1 was to use their debian kernel and install everything from
source. That worked fine, but since perfSONAR is RPM-based, I wanted
to see if I could find an OS for it that supported RPMs.

Then I found a Fedora kernel here:
http://cubox-i.cf/files/fedora20-kernel3.14rc4-cubox-i-20140310.img.zip

Which works great, except it does not seem to work with an HDMI
monitor, so you have to put it on a subnet with DHCP and ssh in to
change the default root password of 'fedora'.

I built some RPMs for bwctl and owamp and temporarily put them here if
anyone has one of these devices and wants to play with perfSONAR on
it:
http://antg-dev.es.net/rpms/arm/

After these are tested more we can move these to the main Internet2 RPM repo.
And 'yum install nuttcp iperf3 iperf' just works, as all are in the
main fedora arm repo. Cool!

So far everything is working well. NTP drift is around 1ms, which is
usable, and TCP flows max out at 350Mbps, which is good enough for
many use cases. But I'd recommend mainly using these devices for
packet loss testing, not throughput testing.

--
Brian Tierney, http://www.es.net/tierney

Energy Sciences Network (ESnet), Berkeley National Lab

http://fasterdata.es.net