perfsonar-user - RE: [perfsonar-user] Questions about perfSONAR without an Internet connection

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

RE: [perfsonar-user] Questions about perfSONAR without an Internet connection

  • From: Craig Finch <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [perfsonar-user] Questions about perfSONAR without an Internet connection
  • Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 20:18:17 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Jason,
Our perfSONAR hosts have actual public IP addresses, and they are cut off
from reaching the Internet by our DMZ border router. This is a temporary,
self-imposed limitation while we get our DMZ configured and tested.

It sounds like perfSONAR wasn't designed to operate in the way that I'm
currently using it, and it needs to have Internet access to work correctly.
I didn't pick that up from the documentation, so you could consider
mentioning somewhere that perfSONAR needs Internet access for full
functionality. That may seem obvious to the developers at ESnet and
Internet2 because you work on the WAN all the time, but those of us coming
from a "campus" perspective tend to keep things on private networks, behind
firewalls and NAT boxes. I often test new software on a set of virtual
machines with a completely private network.

Since perfSONAR is in our DMZ, it will only have access to about 14,000
Internet2 routes from Florida LambdaRail, and will not have access to the
public Internet. Will we be able to reach the Google API from our DMZ?

Craig