perfsonar-user - [perfsonar-user] Community Assistance Request

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

[perfsonar-user] Community Assistance Request

  • From: Jason Zurawski <>
  • To: "" <>, perfsonar-ps-users <>, perfsonar-user <>, "" <>
  • Cc: Jason Zurawski <>
  • Subject: [perfsonar-user] Community Assistance Request
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 15:07:17 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

All;

One of the great cruelties of open source software is that while it is free
to use, it is not free to develop and maintain. From time to time it becomes
necessary to tap the 'tip jar' that sustains the perfSONAR-PS project.

In years past we have asked for help in developing, testing, and even
evangelizing the software to make things stronger and more reliable. We have
a different request this go-round: we simply need statements from the
community (U.S. Based, as well as International) that perfSONAR is a useful
(perhaps even vital) part of your campus/lab/regional/backbone
infrastructure, and life would be more difficult if this software were to
fade away. Perhaps additional comments if you have used the tool to fix a
hard problem, enable a complex activity, or if it is critical to day to day
operations.

This request does come with a caveat - while the words/praise of a
network/software engineer or researcher are important, the words/praise from
a Director/Executive/Chief matter a lot more to the parties that control the
purse strings. Since the majority of subscribers to this list may fall into
the former category, we would ask that you please talk with your supervisors
(perhaps even draft them some text they could lend their name to) about
making a statement regarding the usefulness of perfSONAR. Naturally, we need
as many statements as we can, so if you can't get the ear of your management,
your own personal account would be most helpful to this request.

This simple act will go a long way to ensuring that the project is able to
keep up with the demand of software updates, bug fixes, and feature
enhancements in a down economy; to do this it is vital that we can convince
our own management chain that there are passionate and active users out
there. By our count we know of nearly ~600 deployed instances of the
software spanning numerous domains and countries. These letters of support
can be addressed and sent to both Steve Wolff
()
and Wendy Huntoon
(),
who will aggregate them into a cohesive report. If possible these notes
should come in the next 1-2 weeks.

Thanks again for all of your support for this project, and we do appreciate
all users and want to ensure that we can continue to delivery for the needs
of the networking community into the future;

-jason