perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] OWAMP measurements

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] OWAMP measurements

  • From: Jeff Boote <>
  • To: Aaron Brown <>
  • Cc: ,
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] OWAMP measurements
  • Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 14:21:16 -0700

There is C code in the owamp distribution (stats.c IIRC?) that is used to compute the median or any other percentile from the raw .owp data files. It first creates a histogram and then does the other parts, so it would probably be instructive for looking at the database data.

The history of using (95%-median) was more empirical, and originally we didn't call it jitter. I think we called it something like 'delay variation' because jitter actually has a specific definition. But, since no one understood our term and no one really used the actual definition of jitter anyway. For most of our uses, the 95% removed most of the 'host' noise - and normalizing by subtracting the median allowed us to compare the stability of paths of distances/minimum latencies.

Jeff