perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Problems using mesh generator

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Problems using mesh generator

  • From: Aaron Brown <>
  • To: David Mitchell <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Problems using mesh generator
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 15:45:17 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Hey David,

On 2/27/13 12:50 PM, "David Mitchell"

>I'm trying to use the mesh generator to setup a new mesh of bwtcl and
>owamp tests. I've been following the directions on the Wiki. I have
>created the json configuration file using the build_json script and
>updated the agent_configuration.conf to point to the file. That all seems
>to work OK. When I run the generate_configuration script it produces
>quite a few errors about being unable to update files. I'm not sure what
>other folks do to run this script, as by default the files are owned by
>user perfsonar and that account is locked.

The default cron jobs run as the perfsonar user, but could conceivably run
as root as well, or some other user capable of writing those files and
restarting the services. Another option is to run the scripts that write
the files as the perfsonar user, and then have a root user restart the
services, if you want to lock down what the root user is doing some.

>When it completes, there is a maddash configuration dumped in json format
>in /opt/maddash/maddash-webui/xsede-mesh.json. That would be great but I
>thought maddash was reading /etc/maddash/maddash-server/maddash.yaml for
>it's configuration. I was going to work through this apparent disconnect
>before I try and troubleshoot whether the measurements are being properly
>scheduled. I do have an older version of the maddash software and a
>configuration set up. Would that be breaking things? According to yum I'm
>up to date on all of the perfsonar and maddash packages. Thanks in
>advance,

I'm not sure why xsede-mesh.json got dumped into that directory. It should
write the maddash.yaml file, and in fact, it can't write anything other
than that for maddash.

Cheers,
Aaron