perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] jitter: good or bad ?? OWAMP

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] jitter: good or bad ?? OWAMP

  • From: jim warner <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] jitter: good or bad ?? OWAMP
  • Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 10:56:10 -0700

On 8/3/2011 6:27 PM, Alan Whinery wrote:
Hi Jim,

It took me a bit to digest your meaning. I apologize in advance, you
just happened to ask a question about something I've been staring at. A
lot. We should have talked about this in Alaska...

The j-word is one of those things that induces confusion, especially
around NTP, where there are at least two meanings of "jitter", and one
is often cited as being the other.

And you seem to be referring to neither one.
Sigh. Clock jitter. Packet jitter. Clock wander. Thanks for the reply. A lot of good information. It is not our plan to buy clocks to attach to perfsonar nodes. I think what I was asking is 'how good is network time?' The endrun technologies data sheet says 0.5 mS, and that says what I'm seeing is all I could expect. It is even 2x better than that.

As you surmised, our NTP servers (endrun; one CDMA, one GPS) are on our network and not directly attached to perfsonar nodes. I didn't know anyone did that.

I don't know what kind of clock Stanford is using, or whether they edited the default list of time servers in the distribution. I don't want to have to know that kind of info to use the tools. I would, however, pay attention if the admin block at top of the Perfsonar web page included that sort of information -- but it doesn't.

-jim