perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Measurement Node install

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Measurement Node install

  • From: Jason Zurawski <>
  • To:
  • Cc: , Performance Node Users <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Measurement Node install
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 14:34:28 -0400

Hi Roy;

I apologize, I misunderstood your question.

The use case you are describing is not one that the performance toolkit by itself was designed to solve. Each toolkit instance is meant to be 'standalone' for the most part - all of the testing and storage capabilities in one machine. They currently don't have a way to cooperate by default, and 'push' the data to a designated central location. The underlying perfSONAR-PS software makes ot possible to do this, but requires tweaking of some internal files and can't be done through the GUI.

If you would like to set up a complete institutional solution with multiple test points and a centralized archive there either needs to be modifications to each toolkit instance (if this is what you were starting with), or you may consider setting up individual services through RPMs. Several campus and regional networks have started doing this, but it is a bit more of a 'get your hands dirty' project.

I would be happy to talk about this with you offlist if you are interested.

Thanks;

-jason

On 7/5/11 2:26 PM, thus spake
:
Jason,
Not really, as I thought a location (Institution) would want to have one
Measurement Archive, but multiple test nodes. If I understand
the diagnostic mode, it is a test point but no data is stored, however
the node initiating the test against the diagnostic node would archive
the test data. What if I want the test data archived, but not on this
node, but on the institutional measurement archive. So I guess I am
looking for the mode where the node is a able to test against, but
archives the measurement results in a central measurement archive, not
locally. Does
this make sense? Is this possible?

Thanks,
-Roy Hockett