perfsonar-user - [perfsonar-user] installing PerfSONAR trouble

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

[perfsonar-user] installing PerfSONAR trouble

  • From: Xavier Jeannin <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [perfsonar-user] installing PerfSONAR trouble
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 17:11:22 +0100

Dear All

I have tried to install PerfSONAR MDM v3.3 on a Debian system with the PerfSONAR MDM 3.2 Adminitrator's Guide, I did not find the 3.3 Adminitrator's Guide.
Thanks to Wiktor Procyk I finally discover the appropriate documentation (I hope)
https://forge.geant.net/forge/display/perfsonar/perfSONAR+MDM+Administrator%27s+Guide

I try to install MDM not withour the DVD ISO, maybe its not a good idea ...

I would like to install PerfSONAR MDM v3.3 on a Debian 6.0 Squeeze, maybe it is also a bad idea

I try to install java jdk 5 but it is now deprecated so I install java jdk 6
I try to install tomcat5.5 but it is now deprecated and apt-get do not find it so I install tomcat6
I try to install "exist" but it claims that exist depends on tomcat5.5 so. I cannot force the system so I am stuck.
I only find on my system the following thing :
"tomcat5.5-exist - This is a dummy package used to rename the package to exist."

Is it possible to install PerfSONAR MDM v3.3 on a Debian 6.0 Squeeze or should I have to install a Debian 5.0?
is it possible to install PerfSONAR MDM v3.3 on a Debian 5.0 or 6.0 without the ISO DVD or I will again encounter the same problem with the deprecated version of tomcat5.5?

thank you in advance
regards
Xavier

Xavier Jeannin - RENATER - Network Engineer
Dpt: Network Engineering and Planning (PSR)

Tel: +33 (0) 1 53 94 20 40 | GIP RENATER
Fax: +33 (0) 1 53 94 20 31 | 23-25 rue Daviel
E-mail: