perfsonar-user - [perfsonar-user] optimal MTU size?

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

[perfsonar-user] optimal MTU size?

  • From: Mark Boolootian <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [perfsonar-user] optimal MTU size?
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 07:31:55 -0700

I received a question from one of the folks here on campus on
selection of MTU size. Does anyone have any guidance/empirical
data that addresses this?

---

Assuming your gear supports it, have you ever read anything that
suggests some jumbo frame sizes are better for hardware than others? In
a high performance arena?

Aka, does 8192 (8K) make chipsets go faster than a non-byte aligned
jumbo frame? (9000) Particularly if your application takes full
advantage of the larger packet sizes?

I know 9000 is "standard" but why is it standard? Its an odd number in a
"power of 2" world so I must be missing something.

Does a chipset work harder moving zillions of packets that are 9000
bytes compared to 8192 bytes?